It makes your blood boil to read about the facts surrounding Mr. Fine's experience with Horizon. The lack of any meaningful remedy under ERISA for insureds such as Stephen absolutely guarantees that insurer foot dragging will proliferate.
Thanks to Hiran for his good work. It's pretty clear that his reporting is going to result in Stephen's claim getting paid. Would Horizon have paid this claim without this type of publicity or a lawsuit? Who knows. In the war of attrition between insurers and insureds, the Horizon's of the world definitely have more ammunition.
Join The Conversation
Post A Comment
- Posted on 05/17/2011 CIGNA v. Amara
- Posted on 03/29/2011 Bloomberg Markets' article on ERISA
- Posted on 12/24/2010 James F. v. CIGNA Behavioral Health Inc.
- Posted on 07/11/2019 Timothy D. v. Aetna Health and Life Ins. Co.
- Posted on 06/24/2019 Family says insurance fails to pay for mental health coverage despite medical necessity
- Posted on 04/24/2006 Eliminating Discretionary Clauses in Insurance Policies