It makes your blood boil to read about the facts surrounding Mr. Fine's experience with Horizon. The lack of any meaningful remedy under ERISA for insureds such as Stephen absolutely guarantees that insurer foot dragging will proliferate.
Thanks to Hiran for his good work. It's pretty clear that his reporting is going to result in Stephen's claim getting paid. Would Horizon have paid this claim without this type of publicity or a lawsuit? Who knows. In the war of attrition between insurers and insureds, the Horizon's of the world definitely have more ammunition.
- ?I have been awarded Social Security disability benefits. But the insurer of my disability policy has denied my claim. Can the insurer do that?
- ?I already have a lawyer working on my social security disability claim. Can't that lawyer handle my disability insurance claim too?
- ?What issues do you see in life insurance claims?
- Posted on 07/11/2019Timothy D. v. Aetna Health and Life Ins. Co.
- Posted on 06/24/2019Family says insurance fails to pay for mental health coverage despite medical necessity
- Posted on 04/24/2006Eliminating Discretionary Clauses in Insurance Policies